Saturday, January 12, 2013

The things I've learned...

Before, during, and after my miscarriage, I heard, saw, and read many things that I did not know before.  Many terms I had never heard are now becoming a part of my daily life.  Here are a list of several things I had never heard of until after I was pregnant.


Did you know?
  • A miscarriage is commonly referred to as a spontaneous abortion {source}.
  • Women can have missed miscarriages, also known as missed abortions {source}.
    • I had a missed miscarriage.  My baby's heart stopped at 7 weeks, but I did not have my miscarriage until I was almost 12 weeks.  My baby continued to grow until he was measuring 9 weeks, but he did not have a heart beat.  So, I was actually 12 weeks along when I had my miscarriage, but I always say that I was 9 weeks because that is how big my baby was.
  • Some pregnancies can be considered failed pregnancies or "incompatible with life" {source}.
    • Two terms I hate very much and will be writing about in another blog post.  Luckily, I never heard these terms from my doctors.
  • Rainbow babies are babies born after miscarriage, still birth, and babies lost early in life {source}.
    • I cannot wait to start TTC my Rainbow baby.  I am a Rainbow baby myself, so I know it is possible.  I also know that God will bless me when the time is right!
  • You don't know exactly how it feels until you have been there yourself.
    • I have lost other relatives (including my brother and papa), so I know how it feels to lose someone, but the grief from losing a child is so much different.
  • If your child has passed away, you are not alone.  Whether it is miscarriage, abortion, still-birth, infant loss, or even losing an adult child, there are others who have been there.
    • I did not realize, until after my miscarriage, how often it happens.  I also did not know how many support groups there are and how many people are willing to help you through the grieving process.
There are still several things I am learning, as well. Things about my body, my life, my thoughts, my dreams, my emotions, and my health.  Things that I need to know, but wish that I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment