Wednesday, March 6, 2013

R-word: Annual Day of Awareness

This is not a normal topic for this blog, but it is a topic that is special to me.

Today, March 6, is Annual Day of Awareness on R-Word.

If you don't know what this is, please go check out the website.

The R-word is the word retard{ed}.

This word is so negative.  A lot of times people use this word while picking with friends, and they will say it without thinking.  Other times, this word is used in a very mean and derogatory way.  A way that I don't even like to think about.

Because, when I hear this word, I cringe.  It is like nails on a chalk board.  It makes my stomach turn.

My brother was labelled/classified by doctors as mentally retarded. This was back before it was considered such a nasty word.  He did have several disabilities, including intellectual disabilities.  But, he was not retarded.  He was very special and unique.  He did and he still does have a beautiful soul.  Only now, he is in Heaven.  He passed 17 days after his 13th birthday.

So, this has such special meaning to me and my life.  If I hear someone say this word, I automatically respond by telling them why they shouldn't use the R-word.

I took the pledge to not use the R-word.

Will you do the same?

2 comments: